Basically, as a not-very-well-informed fan, this is how I've gathered you can properly Do The World Cup:
- Pick a team! Any team! Cheer for them with your entire body and soul!
- Choosing to favor neither team is also an option which allows CHEERING FOR EVERYONE AND YOU'RE ALWAYS A WINNER
- LOTS OF YELLING (best part)
- Excited/nervous flailing when anyone gets near the goal post (is that what it's called? what it's called isn't important---how loud you yell is!!!!!)
- Don't worry about necessarily understanding the rules behind all the fouls and the cards, just enjoy watching people trip each other--or specifically don't enjoy it: get angry and jump up and down YELLING AT YOUR LIVESTREAM
Following these guidelines will lead you down a path of blissfully ignorant World Cup-ing! Anyone who knows more than me: feel free to suggest more advice! And remember: Google is your friend.
...Especially for finding each team's hotties pre-match. Like Spain's beautiful, Sergio Ramos:
And Mexico's, Francisco Rodriguez:
Though, we won't see those faces and bods again this World Cup, America plays later today against Belgium and we have...well, we don't really have anyone. But Belgium has:
So, while cheering for the United States, at least you can still check out the competition.